AUTOIMMUNE CONDITIONS | The Guidance You Need…………
Autoimmune diseases are caused by an overactive immune system. There are many types, including thyroid related hypo and hyperthyroidism, Coeliac disease and lupus. Although they can’t be cured, there are various treatment options to manage symptoms and reduce inflammation and further damage.
Causes of autoimmune disease
It’s not known why this happens, although autoimmune conditions most often affect people with a genetic predisposition. An environmental factor such as an infection, stress, medication or dietary and lifestyle choices can triggers the symptoms of the autoimmune disease.
Types and symptoms of autoimmune disease
There are more than 80 different autoimmune diseases. Most of them are long-term illnesses, with the severity of symptoms changing over time.
Some of the more common autoimmune diseases include:
- Coeliac disease – the immune system reacts to gluten (found in wheat and other grains) and damages the small intestine. Coeliac disease causes flatulence, diarrhea and abdominal pain.
- Rheumatoid arthritis – bone and cartilage are damaged, causing tender, swollen and stiff joints.
- Thyroid disease – the thyroid gland is overactive, causing anxiety, heart palpitations, weight loss and irritated or bulging eyes.
It can take a long time to diagnose an autoimmune disease because some symptoms, such as tiredness and ‘just not feeling right’, are commonly felt by many adults, while symptoms can come and go.
Treatment of autoimmune disease
While there is no cure for autoimmune diseases, help is available. People diagnosed with autoimmune diseases often benefit from:
- A specific Metabolic Balance® Treatment Plan – which provides specific nutrition suited to the individuals biochemistry;
- Maintaining a healthy weight;
- reducing stress;